Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall Has Fallen



Autumn has arrived in the areas of the US where we enjoy at least three seasons with the leaves falling, and in some mountainous areas, the snow falling.

Dean motorcycled up to Lamoille Canyon last Saturday with some friends and came back with the report that the aspens, etc. had turned color in the mountains. He knows how I enjoy seeing the color change so insisted that we make the trip to the Canyon after church on Sunday, just so I could see it.

The air was hazy so my pictures were not too bright but I am including one shot to break up the monotony of the printed word. 

I took a picture of a very stately weed with color in the background but because I missed the top of the plant I’m not including it --sort of like the fish that got away..

For those of you who have never experienced Fall in the mountainous west, the bright crimson and orange colors are generally non-existent (remember, I am qualifying that statement with “generally”). The lack of that extra color seems to make the gold of the aspens especially vibrant when mixed in with the deep green of the evergreens. When the sun shines through the yellow aspen leaves, it gives a particularly glowing aspect of gold to the leaves. I didn’t manage to capture that this year, but I have seen it, and it’s awesome.

This beautiful time of year makes me think of the four seasons more often than any other time. Maybe it’s because of the idea of harvest or maybe it’s because of the end of the present year marching ever closer.

It brings to mind the old hymn that speaks of God’s faithfulness, knowing we can depend on fall being followed  by winter, which is, in turn followed by spring and then summer. We would really be in a mess if the seasons got out of synch. I’m so thankful that God is faithful to us in our personal lives in that same way. Just as Day dependably  follows Night, so He is with us always.

No comments:

Post a Comment