Friday, January 25, 2013

Addiction to the One-Eyed Monster



I have noticed in many homes (certainly my own--see below) the chair and sofa grouping is quite often centered around the TV. Does that appear shrine-like or what?


It seems especially during these retirement years, my TV viewing has increased to the point that I have become aware of poor stewardship of time. Since we are hooked up with a company that is located in another time zone, we get our TV programs an hour earlier than “normal.” This means that we can start watching the evening shows at 6 PM.  Unfortunately, that also means that people like me with little willpower, can sit in front of the “tube” for four hours and never stir from their initial position on the couch. (I have, however, discovered I can accomplish a surprising amount of housework  during a commercial. Amazing!)   

I have heard of families turning off their TV for a week or even a month and I salute them. My husband would never make it, he loves to listen to the confrontational reporting on Fox too much. However, I decided to take a week off from TV and I like the results. I’ve discovered extra time to pray, study my Bible, read good books and even get started on a classic my son downloaded on the Kindle I got for Christmas.

 Actually, I’m not out to change anyone’s viewing habits, I’m just musing on my own. Next week, I will get back to my favorite shows, but I do not intend to check the Directory from Channel 2 through 257 to see if there’s a show I could stand to watch--just because I'm sitting there. So after “NCIS” next Tuesday night, I’m off to enrich my mind with a good book or THE Good Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment