Friday, November 28, 2014

Giving Thanks for Unusual Happenings

Thanksgiving Day had some interesting twists this year. We had friends over and enjoyed eating together--not unusual. Then I got to show my friend how to make applesauce from scratch so both her family and Brian will get to enjoy the benefit of our labors--also, not particularly unusual.

Company gone home, Brian gone to the golf course, one dishwasher load clean and put away. As I was rinsing dishes and filling the dishwasher a second time, I heard a thump—and the water stopped coming out of the sink faucet. Puzzled, I walked to the laundry room where the hot water heater is located and saw water gushing all over the floor. I couldn't remember how turn off the heater, so I called Brian in a panic and he rushed home. 

 By his arrival time, the  laundry room floor was covered with 1-2 inches  of water and flowing on to the wood laminate hallway. He discovered that the water intake valve had broken so he attached a garden hose to the pipe so the water would be directed outside onto the concrete patio. The next step was turning off the water to the house which is located in the driveway. After all that adrenalin rush came the clean-up. Thank you, Dean, for the Shop-Vac. Fans ran all night and today the flooring apppears to be dry. 


I write all that in order to list the things I realized were blessings. First of all, Brian was here to help with the problem. Secondly, the weather was downright temperate, even in late afternoon so dealing with hoses and turning off water to the house in the hole of our driveway didn’t mean contending with icy surfaces and frigid temperatures. Next, we had clean dishes to eat from (and I had clean clothes to wear the next day because I had done my laundryJ. And of course, we were grateful this happened after we had had dinner. Additional thank you’s for water given by a next door neighbor and offers of a place to shower if that became necessary. The blessed end of the story was that Mr. Fielder, the plumber, had not gone out of town for the holidays and was able to fix the problem Friday morning.

We had begun our day with, among other activities, reading from Jesus Calling, a wonderful book of one-page devotional thoughts straight from our Lord, paraphrased by Sarah Young. Thursday's “phone call from Jesus” as Brian puts it, was talking about letting thankfulness rule in our hearts. As our eyes are opened to the blessings around us, Jesus just keeps making more blessings apparent.

“Each time you receive one of My (Jesus’) golden gifts, let your thankfulness sing out praises to My Name. ‘Hallelujahs’ are the language of heaven, and they can become the language of your heart.”

One of the Scripture passages that accompanied this paraphrase was Revelation:19:6. “Then a voice came from the throne (of God), saying: ‘Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both small and great!’ Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: ‘Hallelujah'  for the Lord God Almighty reigns.”

As I came to the end of that verse, it was like I’d been zapped with electricity, for I realized that Dean was part of that multitude, doing exactly what that verse said—praising God, shouting “Hallelujah.”

At that instant I so much wanted to be with him, joining that huge group of people shouting, “Hallelujah.” Then I realized I can do that while I’m still earth –shackled--I can't hear the sound of the multitude, but I can praise Him. So I was shouting hallelujah at that point, not realizing how many more opportunities I was going to be given in the next few hours:)


“Thank You, Lord! Hallelujah!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment