Friday, December 7, 2012

Tradition—Not



 Christmas carols, Christmas cards, Christmas gifts, Christmas cards, Christmas trees, Christmas cards…

Many years ago I discovered my stress level increased incrementally a day or so after Thanksgiving and didn’t subside until our Christmas cards were all signed, addressed, stamped AND included a personal note.

I know, I brought it all on myself. But having attended 3 colleges, taught school in two widely separated states, married and moved half a continent away from my family, I wanted to stay in contact with the many friends who had marched across my life in a meaningful manner.

That particular Christmas I realized my Christmas Spirit had fled and something really nasty had replaced it. That was when I gratefully latched on to a friend’s chance (??) remark. Why not send my annual letters in Easter cards? I decided that would be my last frantic Yuletide as far as Christmas cards were concerned. The next Easter I sent cards to all those on my list with a short note about my future plans concerning Christmas cards.

The next Christmas the freedom was amazing. I must admit I felt just a bit guilty as the Christmas cards came to us. But when I realized the “Christmas Grinch” had disappeared from our household, the guilty feelings vanished.

The following Easter was a unique experience because there was ample time to review the past year for the benefit of far-away friends. Succeeding Easters have evolved into special times of reminiscence as I re-read their Christmas letters and notes from the past year. It seems doubly appropriate to renew old ties as the Earth witnesses the rebirth of Nature’s life cycle and Christendom celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the new life He offers.

Through the years I have seen annual letters arrive as Valentines, New Year’s letters, 4th of July letters and Thanksgiving letters, but I don’t remember any Easter annual letters (although we have received Easter cards in return—remember that guilt reflex I mentioned earlier).

Maybe the idea has never caught on because Easter cards don’t go on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment