Friday, February 15, 2013

Ta-Da!



My aged dictionary doesn’t have “Ta-Da” in it, but in my experience it has come to mean a sort of proclamation, like, “Here I am!”

Liz Curtis Higgs gives a slightly different spin on “Ta-Da” in her DVD on God’s grace. She has spent a lot of time in Scotland and those folks have shortened the word, “thanks,” to Ta. They have also come up with a shorthand version of the word, “father” or “dad,” which comes out da.

So Ms. Higgs’ suggestion, stemming from the scripture, “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it,” is “Ta-da.”  Thanks, Dad.

This is a somewhat convoluted way to introduce my Ta-da for the week. My book was finally birthed on Kindle, Amazon’s e-book platform. The Women Who Knew Him took me about 20 years from the idea to this point. (I hope the next book doesn’t take that long.

After reaching the Amazon site, click on “See what’s inside” and go to the To My Reader page. It tells a little about the incubation of the stories.

By the time I retired in July 2010 I only had 3 stories fully written with another two started. By July of 2011 I had all 13 stories finished and sent them to an editor-friend in August. She returned them to me in early October and then it was revision time.

By May of 2012 it was time for another editorial eye to look at the stories. Then Dean was diagnosed with lung cancer and the writing schedule traveled a slight detour. All the stories were back from the 2nd editor by December 2012. They went out and returned one story at a time so I was able to revise them story by story.  Last month the stories went once more to my proofreader friend, then a little more revision on my part. Then it was time to get the document ready for e-book publication.

Fortunately, the process was not as scary as it originally looked and once son, Jeff, designed the book cover, we were in business. Now I need to put my mind to marketing and also getting the book into the format needed for print. I will also use Amazon’s print on demand company so that I can have copies of books to give away (and, or course, sell).

So Ta-Da. Thank You, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment