Sunday, May 11, 2014

Meditation--but Not the Om-m-m Kind

Reflecting on meditation is probably a redundant phrase, but that's what I plan to do. As I've probably mentioned before, fascinating, ah-ha moments can come in the shower. I'm not sure such incidents can be labelled meditation, but if one stands under a relaxing stream of water, thinking, etc. until the temperature turns tepid, it could fit Webster's definition.

I had such a moment this morning as hymns coursed through my mind and the beautiful remembered harmonies of the old hymn I know as "O Love, That Wilt Not Let Me Go" ran through my brain. That may not fulfill the true meaning of meditation, but I certainly count it as a personal blessing from the Lord.

We have been reading Jim Berg's book entitled CHANGED INTO HIS IMAGE and I found a sub-heading in chapter 6 particularly interesting. In "The Search for God Must be a Search for a Person" he says, "Meditation...is studying the Bible to learn more about a Person--God Himself. The principles you find along the way as you study are manifestations of His character." He goes on to talk about scheduling time to study/meditate on whatever Bible passage you are reading at any given point.

I remember participating in a fairly in-depth Discipleship course called "MasterLife" in which we were to plan a Saturday where we could be free for four hours. During those four hours were to pray, sing worship songs, and read the Bible, thinking deeply about how the passages were personally applicable and what they were revealing to us about God. I was certain there was no way I could do that for such a length of time. Surprise! And blessings!

Berg uses the New Testament illustration of Jesus feeding the 5,000 and remarks, "God did not put that account in the Bible as an example of how we ought to feed large numbers of people when we have a church picnic. It was given to reveal something to us about God's Son, Jesus Chris." For instance, it shows us Jesus' compassion for people and His miraculous ability to meet people's needs. The account also shows Jesus as a master teacher, leading his disciples in deepening their faith in God.

We need to remember that the Scriptures are about a Person. At this point in his chapter, Berg quotes an extensive portion of a chapter in C.S. Lewis' MERE CHRISTIANITY, which, coincidentally (?) we are also reading. If you have not read this book by Lewis, I highly recommend it. It's not one to scan, but to read thoughtfully, with pencil in hand to underline and make notes (if you own the book:)

I look forward to learning more about my Creator--studying and meditating on what His Spirit reveals to me. It should be an interesting week:)

No comments:

Post a Comment