Saturday, February 28, 2015

Secret Things

This phrase can conjure up either positive or negative feelings for me. In conjunction with celebrations like Christmas, birthdays or anniversaries, a secret is generally thought of in positive connotations. Someone has planned something for me that I will probably enjoy.

On the other hand, a secret which keeps me ignorant of something I“need” to know,  or “keeping” a secret about a dastardly deed I or a friend or relative have committed leaves behind an excluded or unpleasant feeling.

Actually, when we wake up in the morning, we have an entire day full of secret things. Our day may be arranged quite to our satisfaction, but as we all know, there is no guarantee that our plans will work out as we had hoped. In fact, if we dare take the time to think about it, we are not even guaranteed the next hour of life in which to “do” our plan for the day.

But that’s OK. Really!

I so identify with this quote from Jesus Calling: “Your future looks uncertain and feels flimsy—even precarious.  Secret things belong to the Lord (Deuteronomy 29:29) and the future things are secret things. When you try to figure out the future, you are grasping at things that are Mine (the Lord’s). This, like all forms of worry, is an act of rebellion: doubting My promises to care for you.”

That means that I can relax and enjoy the journey knowing Jesus is present. He tells me “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8  I can trust Him with whatever lies beyond the bend in the road ahead, where it’s impossible for me to see. That is true comfort and that secret is safe with Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment