Monday, May 27, 2019

My Heroes

My husband, Dean Diehl
This Memorial Day I took the time to look up pictures of both my husband and my father in their Service uniforms.

My father (Jim) James Johnson
My father was in the US Army Air Corps stationed somewhere in the California desert. His term of service was 1942-1945. By the time I was old enough to be curious about what he did in the war, all he would way was that his job was to teach fighter pilots how to use radar. 

My husband was in the US Army stationed in Ft. Campbell, KY (I think this is correct, but I had not met him yet at that point:) He service term was 1963-65 and he was the company clerk. He, too, said very little about what he did, other than to remark that as he was getting ready to be mustered out having served his three year stint, he was typing up orders for his company buddies to go to Vietnam. I feel sure that he dealt with a mixed bag of emotions regarding that.

Here's a huge thank you to all those who have served in our country's defense as well as in the defense of life in other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment