Thursday, June 18, 2020

How Has Covid-19 Changed Your Life?


Now that various areas of our country have begun to open up somewhat, perhaps you can look back at the past three-four months and take stock of changes you have experienced that may well be permanent in your life.

We are still in the midst of much uncertainty with this virus and unfortunately, sources of information and misinformation continue to swirl, adding to the confusion.

One thing each of us can testify to, personally, is how we have lived during this time and what results we see in ourselves and our families.

We read of families actually having the time (enforced) to truly get to know each other. This can be an awesome benefit of “sheltering in place.” However, in dysfunctional families/relationships, this enforced togetherness has been a horrendous experience.

For some, the paychecks continued as workers made their home, their office space. For other, this was not an option and fear and anxiety coupled with more violent emotions appeared as the bills continued to arrive but the paychecks did not.

I don’t know anyone personally who has contracted Covid-19 or died from it, but I do know people who were hospitalized during this time and it was a nightmare for them—one of fear and desolation and utter loneliness because no family members or friends were allowed to visit.

For those of you reading this post and willing to share your feelings on how your life has changed at this point of our strange journey, I would love to hear your comments. I will start this off by sharing the change I have seen in my life.

Because of the various methods of communication—conference calls, texting, Zoom and other face to face meeting methods, I didn’t see any change in my activity level. I attended just as many Bible studies, prayer meetings, etc. as before--they just weren’t face to face. Despite my introverted personality, this isolation taught me how precious my friends and family are.

Because of my vision limitations, I tend to get frustrated very easily when I’m working at the computer, which is a large percentage of my day. Too many times I vent my frustration in words unbecoming a King’s kid. So I prayed about that ongoing problem and was given this idea, “Let your frustration become an opportunity for learning.” (I’ve had many opportunities for learning this past week as my internet was down for the first week of an internet class I had registered for. Enough said.)

So Covid-19 has changed my life in the realization I really do need/like people and I’m beginning to be able to view my frustrations as opportunities to learn.

What changes has Covid-19 brought to your life?

6 comments:

  1. I ware a mask ,gloves,my badge,my Mobile Meals shirt.I have to change my gloves every person I have to move the meals from the tray to a plastic bad I have to hand the bag to the person receiving it at the door I ‘am not allowed to go in. I love to go in and talk to my customers for a bit but I can’t now.I still feel the call to deliver meals Even as I ‘am at a high risk to get the covid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Rick. I replied and it vanished into the ether. Here's hoping the personal interaction has greatly improved -- but probably no, as we see cases climb once again. Keep the faith!

      Delete
  2. I miss being able to hug or shake hands. Hugging my people in bible study and church when you haven't seen them for a long time, it's just not right. Its awkward to make myself stand back and keep my distance. There is no more closeness and that's what I miss most. Not to mention wearing a mask the hole time I'm at work, even if I'm the only one in the office. I really miss helping others and spending time in church. It is getting better but still not the same. I was fortunate not to have anyone in the hospital and seeing there pain of not being able to have have
    Family near them. That has to be the worst I do have senior friends that I haven't seen in over a year. I had an uncle who died and couldn't go because of our work rules. I miss parties, potlucks and making new friends. I moved to a new town right when it all happened and so needless to say I've only met a couple people that have become friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've definitely made "lemonade from the lemon" that the virus put in your path. Personal interaction or the lack thereof, probably ranks highest in most folks' lives as a huge negative change due to covid.

      Delete
  3. Change I have experienced during Covid-19 include wearing a mask at gatherings, at grocery and dept. stores, staying home most of the time and progressively, rapidly losing my hearing. At Senior Citizens lunch a man sat at our table and told us he was a pilot who teaches flying. Ron enjoyed talking to him, but nothing was intelligible to me. I still count my blessings. Ron and I enjoy just being together, occasionally eating out. I tell God thank You each morning for waking me up. We miss going to family reunions in Washington and Oregon, cancelled due to Covid. We had visitors from Puyallup, Wash., who went out of there way to visit us when they travelled to Winnemucca for the Cast Iron oven cooking competition. They were so interesting. We read in the newspaper that she won for her biscuits and he for chili. We expect a granddaughter from Boise to visit us Saturday. Our granddaughter, Natasha, has pneumonia so we pray for her recovery. Granddaughter Amber had Covid and her mother has stomach cancer. We have a lot to pray about. Bonnie, you are blessed to have a couple of new friends in your new town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy and surprised that you "found" me. Covid is not kind, but you are obviously thankful for what hou have inspite of limited interaction with family and friends. An attitude of gratitude is a great antidote for all the potholes in the road of life:)

    ReplyDelete