Sunday, April 14, 2013

Salad Bowl Philosophy


First of all, I must credit a friend for naming this concept although the idea may well be a familiar one to most of us.

Generally, speaking, the ingredients in a salad are considered to be very nutritious whether it be a vegetable salad or a fruit salad (I won’t be discussing the elements of jello salada at this point). However, as we eat each bite of one of these nutritious salads, we do not particularly consider each leaf of lettuce or spinach or each chunk of tomato or cucumber.

So it is with many of our beliefs. In the cases that come to mind are such concepts as Heaven about which our pastor preached last week. I won’t belabor any points since his excellent sermon can be heard on our www/calvaryelko.org website. Suffice it to say that it brought many comments from mature Christian friends who said that they had never heard heaven explained that way before. It was one such conversation that my friend said  heaven was one of those beliefs she just tossed in the salad bowl. In other words, she believed it because the Bible taught it, but she didn’t understand it.

Randy Alcorn has written a fictional trilogy about some men and their experiences with heaven: Deception, Dominion, and Deadline (not in that order). Very interesting views of what we will be doing in heave, and for those who might gag at the thought of eternally playing harps, he (and Pastor Sam) bring up other options.

Back to the salad bowl idea.  I have been reading a Beth Moore book entitled “Believing God.” This blog is getting too long to go where I’m heading, so I guess the next blog will be a continuation. For right now the thought I’m focusing on is that the more we study God’s Word, the more we can take a belief out of our “salad bowl” and understand truths which were previously just accepted.

I would love to dialog with any readers about what I've written.

No comments:

Post a Comment