Friday, May 17, 2013

April Showers Paid Off

I don't remember seeing any of my flowers blooming as early as they have this spring. Mind you, I'm not complaining. The minute I spy a bloom, I usually clip it and bring it inside. I'm not very generous with passersby in that respect. Plus the fact that one never knows when a vagrant snowstorm might hit.

Actually, the first surprise was the early arrival of the daffodils along with a different colored crocus than I had ever seen before. Don't think I planted it--in fact, I always anticipate what colorful surprises emerge in my flower gardens--and the Creator never fails to delight me.

My next surprise was lilacs in my backyard by the middle of May. Usually, it's June when they appear, if at all. I planted tulips with abandon at some point a year or so ago. The yield was not abundant this year but colorful. The red ones didn't get recorded for posterity but the white one is included with the lilacs. 

Yesterday Dean asked me if I'd noticed the iris blooming. I had not, but they were doing a beautiful job it in spite of my inattention. On top of that, when I went to the mailbox today, I noticed the spirea bush blooming. Just a note of nostalgia on that one. We used to have a large spirea bush at the farmhouse in Missouri where I grew u[. I can remember breaking off the slender limbs ( probably not the right term) and making them into a "bride's" tiara. 

Now it's time to be thinking of planting vegetables (actually, I'm tardy for some seeds--what else is new?) During my weekly trip to the grocery store today the first thing I noticed upon entering the store was  a lovely, green display of tomato plants. I chose one already bearing a baby tomato about the size of a cherry. There are four blossoms also residing on the plant, so those tomatoes will only cost me $.50/fruit. What a deal!  However, I'll pamper those expensive little tomatoes inside until at least the middle of June. Despite our warm weather, I don't trust Mother Nature's track record in NE Nevada.

No comments:

Post a Comment