Friday, May 24, 2013

Dilemma or Delight?

This week we came to the end of Beth Moore's book, "Beloving God" and although this idea wasn't directly mentioned in it, this question emerged in my mind.

Before I state the question, here's the the background. I have suffered with headaches even as a small child. From studies I've read about headaches, those early headaches probably were due to food allergies. As the years progressed, the headaches continued, following no pattern, but no doubt at times due to hormonal upsets, lack of a proper rest, neck injuries (I slipped on an icy sidewalk one winter and gave myself a whiplash), etc. (Believe it or not, no hangovers.)

Now, my question is this: I know and believe that it is scriptural to praise/thank God in all things (not "for") but in  all things, and I would take that to include times when my head and neck would just as soon have been removed to my heavenly home (along with the rest of me).

I don't think I have been bitter against God because my head hurt but only until I have come out on the other side of my headache, do I remember that I didn't manage to praise Him, anyway. Hence my question--why can't I remember to praise Him at such times? I'm certainly not able to do much else worthwhile when a migraine hits.

The Lord very graciously answered my question  the next day as I read a weekly e-mail newsletter from a missionary in Kenya. She had come down with a case of flu complicated by a sinus infection. Then her husband caught the bug and as they were commiserating over their dilemma, God brought to their memory a scripture passage they had read before the flu hit: 2 Chronicles, chapter 20.

The middle of verse 6 says "in Your hand is there not power and might." At the end of verse 12 says "our eyes are upon You" and the end of verse 17 we read,"Don't be dismayed, for the Lord is with you."

The whole key to being able to praise God in all things, is to keep our focus on Him, not the dismal circumstances/dilemma of the moment, be they dealing with a flu bug, sinus infection, or a migraine. And, of course, our satanic enemy is delighted when all we can see is the dilemma we find ourselves in. rather than keeping our eyes on God, Who is ever with us, and Who wins the "battle" every time.

The story in 2 Chronicles is about one of those impossible battles where humanly speaking, the Israelites didn't have a chance. But God's powerful action on Israel's behalf is just as real and active today for us.

I can't promise myself from this point on that I'll be able to do more than moan when a headache hits, but I really do think at some point, I'll remember this scripture and direct my eyes toward the Great Physician instead of focusing on my pain and discomfort. That means the dilemma can become a delight. Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment