Saturday, July 6, 2013

My Non-Garden

Last year I didn’t even pretend to have a garden. This year the intention was present but the carry-through has been lacking.

Three or four years ago Dean purchased a stock tank and filled it with dirt so that I could have a raised garden bed . Thus far I have raised some carrots, one extremely health green bean plant (it’s a mystery as to where the other seeds went) and a lovely tomato plant

The plants you see pictured here are the sole “fruit” of a package of spinach seeds sown at the beginning of June. 
There is a certain area of this “raised garden bed” that is akin to the Bermuda Triangle where the planes and ships mysteriously disappear. Both this year and two years ago, the seeds I planted just vanished. Perhaps I should check the bottom of the stock tank in case the seeds have migrated in that direction???

I was telling my brother about my tomato plant not yet planted as it seems to be doing perfectly well sitting on the kitchen counter. The first of June we were having freezing temperatures and the temperatures at the end of June soared into triple digits. He suggested that instead of calling it a patio tomato, I label it a counter tomato.  

I may yet plant it in one of these half barrels (more of Dean’s answer to my plea for a raised garden bed), but not in the one pictured as it contains the “bones” of a lovely rhubarb start that a friend gave me as well as a package of peas that I planted. Again—no sign of life. Seems to have caught the idea from the Bermuda Triangle stock tack.


ALL of my relatives, alive or dead, would be wondering where my gene pool went wrong. They were/are all decent, even world class gardeners  As for me, the green thumb stops here with a distinctly blackened hue.

No comments:

Post a Comment